Other Benefits

You may be entitled to other benefits, for example to help with your income while you’re seeking employment or if you have any childcare and housing costs. This will depend on your circumstances. Universal Credit, which is being introduced in stages across the UK, will replace the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you can’t claim Universal Credit at the same time.

Unless you have a change in circumstances, advice is not do anything about moving to Universal Credit until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Over the next three years the DWP are working through what is called a managed transfer process. Anyone whose entitlement to Universal Credit is assessed through this system will have their income protected, but anyone who moves prematurely or as a result of changed circumstances won’t. So if you’re considering applying for Universal Credit it’s important to get specialist advice (see below). 

There are also other possibilities such as Carer’s Credit. This is a National Insurance credit which your partner / other person may be entitled to if they’re caring for you for at least 20 hours a week. 

The Gov.UK website has up-to-date information on all benefits including an online benefits calculator: www.gov.uk/browse/benefits

However, it’s extremely complicated to work out what you and your partner / informal carer (unpaid) is entitled to. It’s well worth seeking specialist advice from one or more of the following organisations:

Page last reviewed / updated: March 2021 
Next review due: March 2022