Now Your Child Is At Primary School

Depending on the impact of your child’s SMA they may already have plans to support them in place. This could be:

  • A Special Educational Needs Plan (SEN Plan)
  • An Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan)
  • An Individual Healthcare Plan

It could be though that your child hasn’t needed additional support until now or has only needed a little support. If this is the case or there has been a change in the impact their SMA is having on them, talk to your child’s teacher and ask to see the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). If you are not familiar with what might be possible, take a look at our section: Understanding The Education Support Systems In The UK.

The following sections cover other topics that you might be managing. Many sections refer to the very helpful and comprehensive ‘Educational Guidelines’ resource produced by Muscular Dystrophy UK. You can read the chapters online here:
or download a pdf of them all here: 

Page last reviewed / updated: March 2021
Next review due: March 2022