Specialist Equipment

Talk to your child’s class teacher or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) if you don’t think your child has all the equipment they need or that the school isn’t sufficiently adapted for them to:

  • be able get around school
  • access the full school curriculum 
  • join in with other children
  • access toilet and changing facilities which are safe, suitable and maintain your child’s privacy and dignity 

Your child’s needs will have to be assessed by an occupational therapist (OT). Funding will depend on the local authority and the school's budget holders. Specialist equipment can include seating, height adjustable tables, hoists and slings. It can also include computer equipment, more broadly known as Information and Communication Technology or ICT or IT.  You can read more about some of the possibilities in our section: Electronic and Computer Equipment.

If your child needs specialist computer access at school, this should be assessed through their Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and be provided through education services.


Page last reviewed / updated: March 2021
Next review due: March 2022