Local Authority Carers Assessment

If you provide regular unpaid physical and / or emotional support to a family member, you're a carer. Your health and well-being is important and you can request a carer’s assessment from your LA (Local Authority) to see if you can get support for your caring role.

Even if your child doesn’t have ‘eligible needs’ that have been agreed via a Needs Assessment, you can still request a Carer’s Assessment.

In some areas, other organisations may complete a Carer’s Assessment for the LA, but you still have to contact your LA to ask for the Assessment.

If you’re not sure which LA you come under, type your postcode into the search bar here: www.gov.uk/find-local-council

You can find further information on making your carer's assessment request, from Carers UK:

Contact for Families With Disabled Children also provides helpful information: 

You may also want to see Carer's Allowance in the Financial Benefits section.

Getting Ready For Your Carer’s Assessment

Before your assessment, it may be helpful to keep a diary of day and night tasks for a week and record:

  • What care you give your child. Make sure to record details of the time all these tasks take you on your worst day. A blank diary template is available here.
  • How you manage to maintain your home and look after other family members – how you organise this each day; the time it takes you to do tasks such as shop, cook, clear up, do housework, take children to and from school etc.

Write down:

  • How your caring role has impacted on your work or education – have you had to reduce your hours? Have you had to have time off?
  • What impact caring has had on your sleep and any leisure time you had. Do you get any breaks?
  • What impact caring has had on you emotionally and psychologically

Your child’s medical team should provide you with information about your child’s condition. If though you would like more help with explaining the impact of your child’s SMA, or any other support preparing for or during your carer’s assessment, please don’t hesitate to contact SMA UK.

You can read more helpful information by Contact for Families with Disabled Children in their leaflet that you can download here: https://contact.org.uk/media/1163492/carers_assessments.pdf

Page last reviewed / updated: February 2021
Next review due: February 2022