Being Assessed For Adaptations That Would Need To Be Made To A Vehicle For You To Be Able To Drive

If you're a wheelchair user, the vehicle will need to be adapted for your wheelchair. So, if your wheelchair needs updating it’s best to do this before you get your car. Occupational therapists (OTs) can advise whether:

  • you would be able to drive a car while you’re still sitting in your wheelchair
  • you’ll need to get any adaptations done to your chair and whether or 
  • your wheelchair will soon need changing.

Mobility Centres give practical and independent advice to disabled drivers. They’ll assess your ability to drive as well as provide advice about suitable vehicles, and any adaptations that you may need. There are centres across the UK, to find one go here:

Motability may offer assessments providing you get the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA). There’s more information on Motability here.  

RDAC (Regional Driving Assessment Centre) provide driving assessments and advice on vehicle adaptations and high technology solutions. They have centres throughout England. There’s more information here:

Disability Driving Instructors have advice on how to start learning to drive and finding a driving instructor. Phone 0844 800 7355 or go to:

Disability Action in Northern Ireland can carry out assessments, provide information on learning to drive and help set up appointments with Motability. See:

Page last updated: July 2019