The Motability Scheme
The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair, using their mobility allowance. If you receive the enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme. It includes:
- Lease of a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair every three years; five years for a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV)
- Insurance from Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc (RSA)
- Breakdown assistance
- Servicing, maintenance and repairs
- Adaptations, many at no extra cost
Deposits and down payments apply depending on your circumstances so it’s important that you read the information on their website carefully or phone them to talk about what might be possible for you.
When you apply - using their application from - you’ll need to explain why it’s so important that you drive - to be able to travel independently should be enough reason but add any other reasons about lack of accessible transport where you live, travelling to college / work etc.
So, if you’re eligible and you do decide to use Motability, the next steps are:
- Choosing a vehicle – there’s a lot to think about, including the cost of the vehicle, if it will be the right one for you and its fuel consumption as you will definitely have to cover this cost. Motability can provide information to help you with this.
- Searching for dealers – nearly 5,000 dealerships across the UK offer Motability. You would be able to talk to a Motability specialist at any of them and test drives can be arranged
- Ordering a vehicle – which can be done online.
Motability provide a vehicle for up to 5 years, so you would need to try and think ahead about what you may need to be drive the same vehicle for that length of time. Your OT is the best person to advise you. Motability also need to make sure that you would be happy and confident with the controls before they are installed.
For more information on Motability call: 0300 456 4566 or visit their website: www.motability.co.uk
Page last updated: July 2019