Flexible Working

Regardless of whether you’ve got childcare responsibilities, you have the right to apply to your employer for flexible working arrangements, for example a change to the times or hours you work or to have the option to work from home if: 

  • You’ve worked for your employer for 26 weeks on the date you make the application
  • You’re not an agency worker or member of the armed forces
  • You haven’t made an application for flexible working in the past 12 months.

Employers must consider requests seriously and are only able to refuse the request when there’s a clear business reason.

You should make your request in writing, making clear that it’s a statutory request.

You should also set out:

  • How you want to work – days, hours, where (home / workplace) 
  • When you’d like this to start.
  • What the impact will be on your employer's business 
  • How you think this may be dealt with
  • Whether you’ve made a request before and if so when
  • Date your request. 

It’s also a good idea to set out why you want to do this - to help you better care for your child with SMA, along with the likely impact on your family life if your request is turned down. 

Contact for families with Disabled Children can give further suppoart and advice:

If you get turned down, check with your employer whether they'll allow you to appeal. If not, write to them asking them to reconsider. You should also seek advice from a service specialising in employment advice such as:

ACAS: www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3282

Working Families: 

Page last reviewed / updated: February 2021
Next review due: February 2022