Travel Insurance

Travel insurance is essential if you’re going abroad, and it’s wise to cover:

  • the possibility of medical treatment. Many standard insurance travel policies won’t cover 'a pre-existing medical condition'. If you haven’t told them about your SMA and you then need medical help, you won’t be covered.
  • any carers / support workers going with you.
  • cancellations and loss or damage of property, including any equipment. Equipment can sometimes be covered through home / equipment insurance. Whatever cover you have, check if equipment insurance would cover the cost of hiring alternative equipment. If flying, contact the airline in advance and request a 'special declaration of interest' for any equipment insured. This will ensure that no limit can be put on an equipment insurance pay out if equipment is damaged by the airline. 

Currently, if you’re going to be travelling within the European Economic Area and Switzerland, you need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can apply at or get an application form from the Post Office.

Genetic Alliance UK have a helpful guide to travel insurance:

For latest suggestions of what travel insurance companies other families have used, please contact SMA UK Support Services.

Page last updated: July 2019